Gas central heating grants for pensioners are available to pay for the installation of gas central heating in homes which have never had central heating before.
Under new rules introduced with the start of ECO4 on 1st April 2022, homes must have an existing mains gas supply to qualify for a grant to install central heating for the first time.
Gas Central Heating Grants for Pensioners are available if:
Your home has never had a central heating system fitted since it was built AND
You own your home (owned outright or mortgaged) or you rent it from a private landlord AND
You or someone living with them receives one of the qualifying State Benefits OR you qualify under ECO Flex Rules.
Gas Central heating grants for pensioners are available from the Government’s ECO Scheme.
You may qualify for gas central heating grants for pensioners if:
- You live in your own home or one you rent from a private landlord. Only homes with an EPC rating of D, E, F or G for home owners and E, F or G for private tenants are eligible for Central Heating Grants. You can see the EPC rating of your home by clicking HERE for England and Wales or HERE for Scotland.
- You receive one of the qualifying benefits such as Pension Credit. (See the full list of benefits on the home page HERE or lower down this page) OR your local authority approves your application under ECO Flex rules.
- Your home has NEVER had a central heating system fitted before.
The Government’s own statistics suggest that there is a large number of pensioners who are entitled to Guaranteed Pension Credit but who don’t claim it. You can apply on the Government website HERE and it WILL NOT affect your entitlement to the Winter Fuel Allowance.
To qualify for Gas Central Heating Grants for Pensioners, either you or someone living permanently with you, must receive at least one of the following State Benefits, Tax Credits or Other Allowances unless you qualify under ECO Flex Rules:
- Pension Credit – Guarantee Credit
- Pension Credit – Savings Credit
(Over one million pensioners are entitled to Pension Credit but don’t claim it. To check whether you are eligible click HERE go to the Government website.)
- Universal Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Income-Based Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income Support
- Child Benefit (subject to maximum household income thresholds)
- Housing Benefit
ECO Flex Rules allow local councils to recommend that a householder qualifies for the gas central heating grants for pensioners scheme without the need to receive one of the qualifying benefits above.
Gas Central Heating Grants For Pensioners from the Government’s ECO Scheme